The oikos Winter School and the oikos Summer School are annual platforms to empower agents for change. The events bring together 20 to 30 highly motivated students from around the world in an interactive learning environment on sustainable economics and management.
The Summer and Winter Schools comprise lectures, discussions and project development workshops on sustainability challenges. The events place strong emphasis on insights into institutional change and stakeholder dialogue.
Aimed at undergraduate students of Business Administration and Economics with a proven interest and knowledge in sustainability, the oikos Winter School enables participants to:
– further develop their understanding of global sustainability trends,
– expand their knowledge about the role of business and economic systems in meeting sustainability challenges,
– build up expertise in bringing sustainability challenges to the attention of their fellow students and university faculty,
– design concrete projects in the field of sustainability and integrate the projects into teaching and research at their faculties for Economics and Management.
The oikos Summer School takes an entrepreneurial and leadership view on sustainable development. It enables its broad base of participants to, for example:
– explore innovative approaches to leadership for a better world,
– reflect on their own leadership skills and attributes,
– get practical experience of working collaboratively with others – and reflect on their team-working skills,
– design and deliver learning sessions on a topic that’s important to them.
Go to the official Winter School website here.
Learn about the oikos Summer School in Georgia here.
More information coming soon…
READ THE SUMMER SCHOOL 2016 BLOG HERE!
oikos Summer School 2016 will take an in-depth look at the kind of management education we need for a better world. The world faces its biggest ever challenges: climate change, war, mass migration, growing concentration of wealth and power.
- What kind of leaders do we need to tackle these challenges?
- How should they be different from past leaders?
- How do we change education so that it produces leaders who do what’s best for the world?
Over the course of the Summer School you will have the opportunity to explore your own leadership skills, look at how you want to develop them and how you want to make a difference in the world. You will also work collaboratively with others to design and rehearse new and innovative approaches to management education – changes that can be implemented in your university.
By the end of the Summer School you will have:
- Explored innovative approaches to leadership for a better world
- Reflected on your own leadership skills and attributes
- Had practical experience of working collaboratively with others – and reflected on your own team-working skills
- Designed and delivered a “Whole Person” learning session on a topic that’s important to you
- Looked at what you can do in your own institution to introduce more innovative learning approaches.
The 11th oikos Winter School took place from the 22nd to 28th February 2016.
Topic: How to feed the world
Find the final report here.
The 11th oikos Winter School took place from the 23rd to 27th February 2015.
The WinterSchool will take place in different venues in the beautiful town of Witten.
Where is Witten and how do I get there?
Witten is located between the cities of Köln, Essen and Dortmund.
You can reach it easily by train, car, or by flying to Düsseldorf Airport. (You may consider to offset your flight onwww.atmosfair.de) As soon as we have confirmed your place in the WinterSchool we will ask you for you travel details, so that we can arrange to pick you up.
Do I need to arrange my accommodation?
No. You will be hosted by friendly students, who will share their apartments with you for the week! If you wish to stay with students of the same sex, please let us know.
I am a vegetarian, will I find something to eat at the conference?
Yes! Our wonderful, freshly cooked food will be all vegetarian. If you have additional requirements, let us know beforehand!
The 10th oikos Winter School is organized by students of the Witten/Herdecke University, Germany. This year’s central question is Green Economy or Post-Growth Society? – How can economics and businesses shift towards a more sustainable future and which way could be the most promising to do so?
We will discuss this year’s central question by thinking, debating and creating new ideas concerning the current energy supply situation, social entrepreneurship and the financial market.
The oikos Winter School 2014 will be held from February 21st till March 2nd 2014 in Germany. If you are enthusiastic about working with international peers as well as debating with our amazing speakers, you can apply starting august 4th(cet)! The early-bird application period (250€ participation fee instead of 300€) closes September 15th.
More information here: http://www.oikos-winterschool.org