Are you ready to rise to the challenge of stewarding a global community of student change agents, together with your learning ’partner in crime’ & fellow co-president? Does the idea of learning, growing & developing a multitude of leadership competencies ranging from the individual to the global community level excite you?
Then apply today to become the next Co-President of oikos International!
- Application Time: 06.03 – 10.04.2023
- Election: during the HYBRID Legislative Meeting in April (22.04.2023) → ONSITE AT THE ICC in Copenhagen and ONLINE
- Duration & scope:
- 2 years contract
- November/December 2023 – December 2025
- Full-time employment (42h)
- Location: remote, at the country of residency
- Salary: 2000 CHF + social security contributions + health insurance + travel, events and conference reimbursements
What the work of an oikos co-president looks like:
As an oikos co-president, you will be working in a highly complex, ever-changing but also truly supportive and warm environment. You will work with a colorful & diverse team of around 20-25 employees and volunteers from all over the world, mostly but not limited to our virtual office. In your role, the team will actively support you and they count on your guidance and facilitation to some extent. AND there will also be another co-president stewarding the organization together with you. So you are not alone! You will have an amazing opportunity of holding the role together with a learning buddy, someone that has your back, and collaborates & co-creates this inspiring journey with you. Feel free to learn more about the co-presidency model here.
Your core RESPONSIBILITIES:
As a co-president, your roles and tasks are very diverse and cover all aspects of the organization. Roles will be agreed upon between the co-presidents, the sharpening and agreement will happen in an appreciative conversation after the election and during the handover process. Acknowledging that oikos is a complex organization, we assume that it needs this space to shape the roles together in close collaboration and co-creation.
Next to granular roles that are owned by either one or the other, there will be several roles that will/should be shared by both, eg. to better regulate long-term partnerships or help the team to navigate fundraising efforts, facilitation and hosting of the team and several roles that will need power of togetherness, like strategic clarity and overview. Beyond this, each role is enriched to address oikos’ purpose, vision and mission reflecting oikos’ identity AND the personal development needs and wishes of the individuals.
Some examples from the portfolio are..
- Tending the oikos community by listening in, ensure close connection to the community, empowering chapters’ impact on the local level and exploring new pathways of organizational development
- Stewarding the oikos International Team and taking care of forming & facilitating the oikos Board and the Staff.
- Facilitating our international & global strategy development to guide and map the activities, impact and development of the oikos community around the world.
- Exchanging and collaborating with internal and external stakeholders towards fostering financial and non-financial partnerships and collaborations. This includes being in the (advisory/supervisory) board of several partner organizations
- Representing the network at various international conferences, seminars, trainings etc. Fundraising is a big part of this aspect as well.
- Overseeing, contributing to and advising oikos international initiatives like Transforming Education Initiative or the LEAP Program and advising the organizing teams of community projects with an international scope.
- Ensuring that all administrative, legal and HR matters are running smoothly, and supporting the dedicated team members in these matters.
What you can LEARN & how you can BENEFIT:
Over the two years of the co-presidency, you will grow and learn a lot, not only as a person but also professionally and as a leader. You will gain first-hand insights into how the wider network of sustainability and higher education works, where it is moving and how we at oikos have an influence that matters. On the ground, you will liaise and collaborate with key internal and external stakeholders working in the field of sustainability and foster a huge network of relationships to key individuals and movements in academia and business. One thing is sure: your leadership competencies will be on test – and you will definitely grow beyond yourself on this fascinating learning journey!
Your needed QUALIFICATIONS and competencies:
- Commitment to and understanding of the oikos community, and the current needs, wishes, and topics of the network. We only accept applications from within the oikos network. Any oikee is welcome to apply!
- Passion for sustainability in higher education and leadership development with an understanding of how it relates to oikos’ vision, mission and purpose.
- Facilitation competencies and leadership skills
- Ability and curiosity for leading in complexity: being able to navigate complex challenges, adapt to and handle overwhelming – stressful situations for yourself and the bigger team.
- Willingness to develop and implement management skills, together with some experience with software packages (such as Google Workspace, Miro, Airtable, website content management, etc.)
- Fluency in English in speaking and writing, basic knowledge of German and/or French is a helpful plus
- Exceptional communication skills and an ability to collaborate with people of different backgrounds and cultures.
- Experience with project management with an attention for detail.
- Openness for learning!
How to apply → It’s very simple:
Fill in the application form, while adding the following documents:
- A motivation letter (max 2-3 pages);
- Your vision and action plan for oikos (max 2 pages);
- Your CV (max 2 pages);
- A brief introduction (about 150 words) and picture for the oikos website;
- A reference letter;
- A video of up to 3-4 minutes detailing your candidature.
Contacts for questions:
Darija Miletic (co-president 2021-23): email@example.com
Carolin Lemke (co-president 2022-24): firstname.lastname@example.org